The landscape, towns and villages of Richard III country have witnessed some of the most monumental events in our country’s history. There is evidence to uncover all around and every place has its own story to tell. Big skies, picture perfect villages, footpaths crossing canals, heritage railways and a landscape keen to give up the secrets of all that it has witnessed. Shopping therapy with a strong focus on independent and artisan retailers in ancient market towns and villages. And you are never very far from some real ale, fine wine, great coffee and some tasty treats to go with it.
What’s not to like?
Barwell is a small town located north west of Hinckley. The name literally translates as "Stream of the Boar" and is said to originate from a boar that used to drink from the well near a brook in Barwell.
A yearly summer street carnival and fete is organised by the Burbage Carnival Committee, whose purpose is to raise funds to donate to local good causes. This has been a very popular community event and has raised over 1/2 million pounds for good causes.
Cadeby's best known resident was the late Rev. Teddy Boston, rector of the historic church of All Saints, Cadeby from 1959 until his death in 1986 and founder of the Cadeby Light Railway. Teddy was a great friend of Rev W Awdry and was the inspiration for the character of the Fat Clergyman in Awdrys' series of Thomas the Tank Engine books.
The earliest written record of Deresford or Diresford is in the Domesday Book of 1086, but the name is older and means Deor's Ford, suggesting an Anglo Saxon origin.
Hinckley’s main shopping streets are Castle Street and Regent Street, which meet at the Market Place. The town has a wide range of shops, including popular high street names and smaller specialist shops whilst Hansom Court is a small arcade just off The Borough.
The town offers several pubs and restaurants and has a pretty town centre with a variety of shops. Market Bosworth Country Park is located just on the edge of the town.
Shackerstone is a pretty village
situated on the Ashby Canal and the River Sence
and a preserved steam and diesel line - The Battlefield Line - with museum and cafe.